Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and forty-two

When you are young (and not so young) it can be hard to find a group of people who will accept you as you are. All too often people try to change who they are so that they can  fit in. In today's picture book you will meet a little monster who does not always behave in a monsterish way, and who has to find her place in her world without giving up part of herself in the process. 


Tammi Sauer
Illustrated by Scott Magoon
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2010, 978-1-4169-6110-9
On the outside, Bernadette the monster is suitably monstrous, having a tail, two toes on each foot, fangs, and the other features that monsters are supposed to have. She usually behaves in an appropriately monstrous manner, lurching around, growling, and causing “mayhem of all kinds.” What no one knows is that Bernadette has a closely guarded secret. Sometimes, when no one else is around, Bernadette does things that are that cannot, under any circumstances, be considered monstrous. She picks flowers, pets kittens, and bakes. In short, Bernadette is “just a little too sweet.”
   When Bernadette starts to go to school it soon becomes clear that all is not well. During Creepy Noises Class Bernadette sings a love song. In Monster Mayhem Class Bernadette builds something when she should be busy destroying things. Poor Bernadette is desperate to find a way to fit in with her classmates, but what should she do?
   This clever picture book explores the idea that one can be true to oneself and fit in with others at the same time. With a humorous text and wonderful illustrations throughout, this is a picture book that will resonate with children of all kinds.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share