Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and thirty-seven

Making friends when you are afflicted with shyness is never easy. I know lots of children who hide behind their mother's skirts, play by themselves, and buy their heads in book rather then break through the barrier of shyness that surrounds them. This book was written for children who feel shy, and it helps them to see how much they are missing, and how to take that first step.

Mike Twohy
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4424-0965-1
   Poindexter is a very shy young pig. He is shy when his relatives come to visit his house, and he is shy when the other children in the neighborhood ask Poindexter to come outside to play with them. In fact, he is so shy that he spends most of his time reading stories to his stuffed animals. The one place where Pointdexter doesn’t feel shy is at the library. Not only does he love to sit there and read, but he also likes to help Mrs. Polen, who is the librarian.
   One day Poindexter is helping Mrs. Polen when a turtle comes into the library asking for books about “how to make friends.” Mrs. Polen asks Poindexter to show the turtle where the book is, which the young pig is glad to do. He never suspects that this act of helpfulness is going to change his life in a big way.
   Many shy children have a hard time making friends. After all, it is not easy to leave your comfort zone when you struggle with being shy. Thankfully, children can now read about Poindexter, and through him, they will come to understand how to make friends, and what it means to be a good friend.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share