Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and thirty-nine

Just a few days ago my daughter and I opened a box of books that Random House sent me, and when we saw the cover of this book we both said "awwww!" It is a really sweet title, and would make a wonderful book to read at bedtime or nap time.

Bethanie Deeney Murguia
Picture Book
For ages
Random House, 2011, 978-1-58246-375-9
   Buglette is a very tidy little insect. During the day, she sweeps and scrubs, tidies and arranges. Her leaf is always immaculate. However, at night Buglette is so restless that in the morning her leaf is always a mess. Her bedclothes end up in a disordered pile, and her books and pillow are akimbo. Mama Bug wishes fervently that Buglette was more like her siblings who are “such neat little sleepers.”
   After a particularly bad night, Mama Bug worries that Buglette’s “messy sleeping” will attract the attention of the crow. The idea that such a thing might happen greatly frightens Buglette’s siblings, who decide that the solution to the problem is to “put a lid on Buglette’s messy sleeping.” Which is what they do, quite literally. They never imagine that their actions could backfire in a dreadful way.
   With a truly delightful main character, and an engaging story, this tale about a restless sleeper is sure to charm young readers. Even readers who normally don’t like insects will find it impossible not to be captivated by Bugette with her purple hat, purple antenna ribbons and purple shoes.
   

No comments:

Bookmark and Share