Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-seven

For some years now, Arthur Geisert has been creating fabulous picture books whose characters are all pigs. Often the pigs build extraordinary buildings or machines, and the stories in the books are always unique and memorable. Here is a wordless picture book that recently came out.

Wordless Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Enchanted Lion Books, 2011, 978-1-59270-098-1
   There is a community of pigs who live on a little desert island that is surrounded by open ocean. Unfortunately, the island is a very dry and hot place, and all the pigs are feeling the heat. To make matters worse, their water supply is dangerously low. The pigs gather together one evening and after consulting their globe, they decide that they are going to have to travel north to get some ice to bring home.
   The pigs don’t have any fast technologically advanced vehicles at their disposal, but they do have a ship, and when they make a few adjustments to this vessel, they create a ship that can sail through the air as well as on the water. Now they can travel north to get the ice they need, but how will they get their ice home?
   In this wonderfully entertaining wordless picture book, Arthur Geisert gives readers another look into the piggy world that he created for his book Oops. Young readers will enjoy following the adventures of these brave and resourceful pigs, and they will be delighted to find out that these porcine characters find a creative way to solve their problems.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share