Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, May 9, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book One hundred and twenty-nine

There is no doubt that there are times when my dogs drive me crazy. Sometimes they bark too much. Sometimes their shedding makes it impossible to keep the house clean. Then there are those days when they roll in something nasty or get sprayed by a skunk. Why would any sane person put up with all this aggravation. If you don't know the answer to that question, then you haven't been lucky enough to have a dog in your life. 

Today's book is a tribute to all dogs, who have so much to give, and who are such wonderful friends and companions.

Picture Book
For ages 5 and up
Little Brown, 2009, 978-0-316-04548-3
   Earl is a little black and white dog whose tail is forever wagging. It goes “Fwip Fwip Fwip” all the time. It wags when Earl is eating, or when he is playing ball. It wags for “belly rubs, chewy toys, snacky-snacks, and snowflakes.” That tail wags when Earl sees his old friends and when he sees potential new ones. Why does Earl’s tail wag though? Does anyone know?
   Mooch the cat tries to tell us the answer to this question, but he forgets what he wants to say. Jules the littler cat doesn’t know. Mooch then decides that the answer is a secret. Finally, Mooch decides that he knows the answer.
   In this charming picture book, Patrick McDonnell the creator of the much loved Mutts cartoon strip, celebrates the secret that lies in the heart of every dog. He reminds us that there is one thing that we can share and give that is more important than anything else in the world. Dogs, of course, are perfect candidates to show us poor humans what this secret is because they are so good at sharing it.
   With his minimal art and text, and his loveable dog and cat characters, Patrick McDonnell gives readers of all ages a book that they will be able to appreciate and savor for the rest of their lives. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share