Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and fifty-two

I remember having a discussion with someone several years ago. She asked me why I was reviewing children's books and helping authors to write children's books. I explained how fulfilling my work is and how happy it makes me."What does being happy have to do with anything?" she said with a straight face. She honestly did not think that being happy was something one should strive for. Since then, I have met many people who have the same opinion. Finding happiness simply isn't something that they even consider.


In today's picture book you will meet a sheep who finds happiness very easily. Could it be that we could learn a thing or two from a sheep?

Jutta Bauer
Picture Book
Ages 3 and up
Kane Miller, 2003, 1-929132-50-6
   There is no doubt that the world has become a very complicated place, and it is very easy to lose sight of what is important in life. This is not the case for Selma however, and she is truly an inspiration.
   Selma the sheep has very simple tastes, and she knows what she likes to do and how she likes to spend her days. Selma likes to “eat a little grass” here and there, spend time with her children and her friends, sleep, and “exercise in the afternoon.” What is very special about Selma is that even if she had more time, or if she had a million dollars to her wooly name, she would not change her life in any significant way. Things are the way she likes them, simple and uncomplicated.
   Selma’s story is a reminder that the search for happiness does not need to be a difficult business. We just have to look at ourselves in simple terms and find the things that really make us happy – just like the kindly sheep does.
   With very simple text and minimal artwork this little book is a treat for readers of all ages.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share