Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and sixty-three

There are many picture book stories out there about the little guy who prevails despite the fact that he or she is smaller/weaker/older than everyone else. The Little Engine that Could is a classic example of this kind of story. For today's picture book, I have a tale about a little hamster who wants to participate in a hot rod car race, and who has to overcome considerable obstacles to be able to do so. 

Cynthia Lord
Illustrated by Derek Anderson
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Scholastic, 2010, 978-0-545-03530-9
   Imagine that you are a hamster and that you want to participate in a hot rod race. The biggest challenge you will face will be trying to find a car that is the small enough for you. This is exactly what happens to the hamster in this story. Eager to participate in a hot rod race, the hamster goes to a junk yard and he asks the dog there to help me build a car.
   The dog shows the hamster a “shiny painted blue car” and a rather rusty little green one. The green one is just about the right size for the hamster, so he, the dog, and the dogs little rat helpers set about giving the little green car a much needed overhaul. They choose new wheels, a new engine, and a paint job.
   At the raceway, the other competitors, who are all dogs, make fun of the hamster. “You’ll get lost in our dust,” one of the dogs says. This, not surprisingly, greatly annoys the hamster and he prepares to show them all what a hot rod hamster can do.
   Young children who like race cars are sure to enjoy this amusing story. Not only are there pictures galore of all kinds of cars, but they will get to meet a diminutive main character who pursues his dream despite the fact that the cards are stacked against him.
   With colorful illustrations and an engaging text, this is a picture book that is sure to amuse and entertain.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share