Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and sixty-two

I have found that often the best way to help my daughter understand and appreciate an important lesson is to share a book with her that addresses the lesson. Reading a story to her and then discussing it has proven to be a lot more effective that giving her a lecture.

Today's picture book is a charming story about a little crocodile who finds out that being honest can actually be a good thing. The book shows how the crocodile child struggles with his own conscience, which makes the story credible and meaningful. 


Lizzie Finley
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Random House UK, 2010, 978-1-862-30906-7
   One day Little Croc is in the park playing hide and seek with his friends when he finds a large pink and white purse. Urged on by his friends, Little Croc opens the purse and he finds that it is full of money. The other crocodiles tell Little Croc that he should keep the purse, and that “No one returns things nowadays,” but Little Croc ignores them, and he sets off for the police station.
   Along the way, Little Croc is tempted again and again to spend some of the money in the purse. He would like to give a charity collector a donation, and he sees a beautiful pair of boots in the window of his favorite shop that he would like to buy. Little Croc gets very thirsty as he carries the heavy purse through the streets, and he wishes he could buy himself a ice-cold lemonade with a little of the money. Would the owner mind if he bought himself a drink? Should he keep the purse after all?
   In this quite charming picture book, Lizzie Finley explores the idea that honesty really is the best policy. Little children will sympathize as they watch Little Croc trying to come to terms with what he wants and what is right. They will be delighted to see how things turn out.
   Charming multimedia illustrations and a loveable main character makes this story a must read for all young children.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share