Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, June 13, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and sixty-four

Children love to read stories where characters have what I call accidental adventures. These are adventures that happen and that are not planned. Without even meaning to, the hero finds him or herself catapulted into an adventure that is full of surprises.

Today's picture book is just such a title. What makes it special is that it is basically wordless, which makes it perfect for young children who cannot yet read on their own.

The Red ScarfAnne Villeneuve
Wordless Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Tundra Books, 2010, 978-0-88776-989-4
   It is yet another gray day, and Turpin the taxi driver is off to work. He gives a lady a lift and then a gentleman, who is wearing a top hat, a long black coat, and a red scarf. Unfortunately, the gentleman leaves his scarf behind when he leaves the taxi. When Turpin sees the scarf lying on the back seat, he picks it up and runs after the gentleman.
   Turpin is about to follow the gentleman into a large colorful tent when a lizard riding a unicycle stops him. Turpin explains that he wants to return the scarf, and the lizard allows him to enter the tent. Almost as soon as he enters the tent, Turpin is almost run down by a polar bear on roller skates. Then he is eaten by a lion. Is this the end of Turpin?
   In this most wordless picture book (there are eight words at the beginning of the tale) Anne Villeneuve tells the story of a very extraordinary day in the life of a taxi driver. Children will love following Turpin’s circus tent adventures as he tries to return a piece of lost property.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share