Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book one hundred and seventy-nine

Alexandra Day has created so many wonderful books over the years, and children all over the world  have enjoyed her Carl the dog stories. I have reviewed several of these mostly wordless books already, and today I am delighted to bring you another sun-dappled Carl tale that is touched with humor.


Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1991, 0-374-31109-9
   It is a warm sunny day, and Carl the dog’s owner is going to have tea with her friend. Carl is left in charge of the baby and the puppy. The baby climbs onto Carl’s back and they head off to explore the park. When they get to the carousel, Carl pretends that he is one of the carousel animals, and the baby and puppy ride on his back together.
   Once they have had enough of this entertainment, Carl and the puppy decide to have a little doggy fun, and they proceed to play in a flower border. Carl digs a nice big hole, the puppy chews the water hose, and the baby picks some of the flowers.
   The puppy chews on the hose so much that he ends up breaking it and he, Carl, and the baby have a wonderful time getting soaked and then rolling in the grass. One would think that all this excitement would be enough of an adventure for the three friends, but it would appear that this is just the beginning.
   Children who cannot read on their own yet are sure to enjoy this Carl title. They will laugh to see all the things Carl, the puppy, and the baby get up to, and the clever details that Alexandra Day incorporates into her art will charm older readers as well.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share