Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The William C. Morris Award

In 2009 a new award is going to be given for "a debut book published by a first-time author writing for teens and celebrating impressive new voices in young adult literature." This is what the American Library Association has to say about the award:

" The award's namesake is William C. Morris, an influential innovator in the publishing world and an advocate for marketing books for children and young adults. Bill Morris left an impressive mark on the field of children’s and young adult literature. He was beloved in the publishing field and the library profession for his generosity and marvelous enthusiasm for promoting literature for children and teens.
The William C. Morris YA Debut Award celebrates the achievement of a previously unpublished author, or authors, who have made a strong literary debut in writing for young adult readers. The work cited will illuminate the teen experience and enrich the lives of its readers through its excellence, demonstrated by:
  • Compelling, high quality writing and/or illustration
  • The integrity of the work as a whole
  • Its proven or potential appeal to a wide range of teen readers

The Morris Award will be awarded annually at ALA’s Midwinter Youth Media Awards." This year that will on January 26th 2009

The shortlist for the award was annouced at the end of December and the books on this list are:

A Curse As Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce (Scholastic)
Graceling by Kristin Cashore (Harcourt/Houghton Mifflin)
Absolute Brightness by James Lecesne (HarperCollins)
Madapple by Christina Meldrum (Random House)
Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny Valentine (HarperCollins)

I am really looking forward to reading and reviewing these exciting new books.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share