Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The new issue of Through the Looking Glass Book Review

March, with its tempramental weather and its promise of spring, is here. I had a great time putting together the new issue of Through the Looking Glass Book Review becasue I did a feature on Women in History. To be honest I often review books about strong fictional and factual women, but this month I made a point of finding books that would show my readers what women of all kinds have done to make the world a better place. Take a look at this feature to find books that are about women who were artists, musicians, scientists, and more. You can find more biographies about women in the biography feature section.

Spring officially begins on March 20th, and there are lots of books in the Spring Feature to choose from. Share some of these books with the children in your life and you will find that you will start to get a springish bounce in your step - even if it is snowing outside!
For those of you who like The Wind in the Willows, I have posted a profile about Kenneth Grahame, who wrote this splendid book. I try to read about Mole, Rat and Toad at least once a year. I find that this magical story grounds me and reminds me that the simple things in life really are the most important.
Other new items on the site are:
Publisher Spotlight: Charlesbridge - a splendid smaller publishing house that puts out some wonderful books including Jerry Pallotta's interesting and entertaining alphabet books.
Series Spotlight: The Thief Trilogy - a trio of stories that explore some of the most most important emotions that we humans struggle with. Beautiful writing combined with vivid characters makes this a winning series.
Don't forget to look at the Bookish Calendar and the Author/Illustrator birthdays as well.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share