Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ducks on ice

Every morning I take my dog Pinot for a walk. On our way down the hill back into the center of town we walk past the duck pond in the park. Most days we stop to look at the ducks and I smile when I see the solitary large white Pekin duck swimming among all the wild ducks. I don't know where he came from, but he appears to be happy and holding his own.

This morning the pond was almost completely frozen over, and the ducks were sitting on the ice looking cold and confused. There isn't much water for them to swim in any more, and to say that the look ridiculous sitting on the ice is an understatement. I was reminded of a little picture book that I reviewed a few years ago. Here is my review:

Duck Skates
Lynne Berry
Illustrated by Hiroe Nakata
Picture book
Ages 2 to 4
Henry Holt, 2005, 0-8050-7219-5
Five ducks wake up one winter day to discover that it is snowing outside. There is no time to waste and soon all five are outside in their “bright new boots” and their snowsuits. Down to the pond they go and, after putting on their skates, the little ducks go out onto the ice. They “wiggle,” “topple” and “giggle” as they all fall down and get up again.
Then two of the little ducks see a sign and they get a wonderful idea. They lead the way across the ice and straight into an enormous snow bank. Then a snowball fight ensues. What a wonderful time they all have on this snow filled day.
With charming, delicate and often amusing watercolor paintings and a simple rhyming text, this picture book celebration of a day spent playing in the snow will give young readers lots of pleasure. Surely there is nothing quite like spending a day outdoors on a snowy day with lots of companions to play with.

It's a pity the pond ducks here in Ashland aren't able to bundle up in snow clothes so that they can enjoy a good skate.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share