Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, November 1, 2010

The new issue of Through the Looking Glass is now online

Dear Book Lovers:

The November and December 2010 issue of Through the Looking Glass Children’s Book Reviews is now online. I have put together a wonderful collection of reviews for you for this issue, and I hope you enjoy reading the reviews as much as I enjoyed writing them.

In November and December, people start thinking about and getting ready for the holidays.  To make it easier to select gift books, all the new books in this issue are stand-alone titles, or they are the first book in a new series.

For this issue I have chosen to focus on Arts and Crafts Books and Kits. For these months leading up to the holidays, I have put together a collection of books that encourage children's creative sides. There are coloring books, how-to books, and craft kits for young people of all ages.  All of the books and kits reviewed here would make great gifts for the holidays. Many of them are the kind of gift that will last many hours or even days, and hopefully they will give children the opportunity to explore a new skill, or to expand on their own creativity.

In November and December autumn shifts into winter. During these months we get serious about bundling up in warm clothes, toasting ourselves in front of warm fires and wood stoves, and finding ways to spend really wet or cold days. I actually really enjoy this time of year as I enjoy sitting under a warm blanket reading a book. What could be better?

FlippedFor this month’s Editor’s Choice title, I selected Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. This coming of age novel is funny and poignant, and it beautifully captures the confusion that comes with growing up and falling in love.

Don’t forget to look at the Bookish Calendar page for reviews about Claude Monet, Roald Amundsen,  the mystery of the Mary Celeste, and much more. This calendar is a great tool to use at home and in the classroom to help children incorporate books more fully into their lives.

There are several bookish events taking place in November that I would like to tell you about. They are:

November 1 is National Author's Day (USA)

November 9th is National Young Reader's Day (USA) - National Young Readers Day is a day that was created by Pizza Hut and the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress in 1989 as a way to celebrate literacy in schools.

November 20th is Universal Children's Day

I hope you enjoy the new issue of TTLG

No comments:

Bookmark and Share