Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and thirty-six

Most children will, at some point, develop a fear of monsters. They imagine that terrifying creatures are living in their closet or under their bed. Today's picture book tells the story about a monster who finally meets his match. Take that you fearsome beastie!

Giles Paley-Phillips
Illustrated by Gabriele Antonini
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Maverick Arts Publishing, 2011, 978-1-84886-066-7
   One dark snowy winter’s night, the growling of a fearsome beastie wakes up four children. The children are terrified of the beastie, as well they should be for the beastie is very partial to snacking on children.
   The beastie is also very sly, and when it enters the streets, it pretends that all it wants to do is to play with the children. Feeling bad that they have suspected him, the children go out into the snow to play with their visitor, which is when he pounces on them and eats Suzie, Clyde, and Paul. Little Pete manages to get away, but what can one little boy do in such a situation?
   Children who have nightmares about creatures who like to eat children will find this book reassuring and very satisfying, and they are sure to be pleased when they see who comes to the rescue. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share