Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of My Name is Elizabeth

Welcome to the first Picture Book Monday of 2012. I will be posting a review of a picture book here every Monday all year long, and I can't wait to see what kinds of treasures I find to share with you.

It is not easy having a name that so many people don't know how to pronounce, and I am often ridiculously pleased when a stranger gets my name right the first time around. Sometimes people mispronounce my name again and again until I give up correcting them because it is easier to just let it go.

Having name problems of my own, I really appreciate how the main character in this book feels. I also like the fact that she stands up for herself, which is not an easy thing to do.

Annika Dunklee
Illustrated by Matthew Forsythe
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Kids Can Press, 2011, 978-1-55453-560-6
   Elizabeth is a little girl who likes her name. She likes the fact that her name has nine letters, and that “there is a queen named after me!” What Elizabeth does not like is when people call her something other than her proper name.
   Elizabeth is such a splendid name, and yet people persist in calling her “Lizzy,” or “Liz” or “Beth” or (shiver) “Betsy.” What is wrong with them?
   Elizabeth decides that enough is enough, and she puts her foot down. To one and all she announces that she is called “Elizabeth Alfreda Roxanne Carmelita Bluebell Jones,” though she is willing to compromise. “You may call me Elizabeth” she says. Will everyone honor Elizabeth’s wish, and will they call her by her proper name?
   Some people are very attached to their names and they don’t appreciate it when people give them nicknames without asking. Children will love the way the little girl in this story stands up for herself, and how she also shows that she is willing to make a concession for special people.
   With a loveable main character, and a clever ending, this is a wonderful picture book to share with a child who is proud of his or her name.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share