Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fiction Wednesday - A review of Mouse and Mole: Fine Feathered Friends

I am always looking for interesting new books that will appeal to children who are moving on from beginner readers to chapter books. The book I have reviewed below is an excellent example of a well-written chapter book, and it one in a series of stories about Mouse and her best friend Mole. I have been enjoying the titles in this series ever since they started coming out a few years ago, and I am always delighted when the author, Herbert Wong Yee, brings us a new book. 

Wong Herbert Yee
Fiction
For ages 5 to 7
Houghton Mifflin, 2009, 978-0-547-15222-6
   Mole loves spring because spring is when the birds come back, and he is “simply mad about birds.” One blustery spring day, Mole and his best friend Mouse set off together to try to find some birds so that they can add new drawings to their “bird books.” At first, they cannot seem to find any birds, but when Mole uses his bird whistles, several birds turn up. Unfortunately, Mole has a habit of stepping on noisy things like dried leaves, and twigs, and the birds are always scared away. Mouse and Mole are going to have to take drastic measures if they want to be able to get close to some birds.
   Early the next morning, Mouse comes to Mole’s house and the two friends get to work. Mouse’s plan sounds ridiculous, but Mole is willing to give it a try. Using pieces of fabric and glue, Mole and Mouse disguise themselves to look like birds. After all, birds aren’t afraid of birds, and if Mouse and Mole look like birds, then they should be able to get near their feathered friends. At least that is the theory. Who knows what will happen in practice.
   In this award winning book, Herbert Wong Yee tells a story that is funny and at the same time meaningful. Children will see how two friends are able to work as a team, despite their differences, and how, in the end, they create something special together.
   This is the fourth Mouse and Mole title. With its four short chapters, its charming illustrations, and its engaging story, this book is perfect for young children who are ready to read chapter books.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share