Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of The Day Louis got eaten


Though I strongly believe in not judging a book by its cover, I must confess that some book covers grab my attention and I feel compelled to read them straight away. Today's picture book title, The Day Louis got Eaten, is just such a book. The title made me immediately want to find out what happened on the day Louis got eaten. Trust me, you too will want to know the answer to this question!

John Fardell
Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Andersen Press USA, 2012, 978-1-4677-0315-4
One day, Louis on his scooter and his big sister Sarah on her bike go into the forest. They don’t get very far before a large Gulper, a furry monster with a long tongue, eats Louis. Being a well-informed girl, Sarah knows that Gulpers eat their food whole. For at least a while Louis will be safe in the Gulper’s stomach. She quickly grabs something and then she sets off after the Gulper.
   Sarah almost catches up with the Gulper when a huge black feathered Grabular swoops down out of the sky and gobbles up the Gulper. The Grabular then flies out to sea. Sarah quickly converts her bike into a water bike and she peddles after the Grabular as fast as she can. She is just about to reach the Grabular’s nes, when the bird is eaten by an Undersnatch. Now she has to chase a beast that swims underwater!
   Children are going to love this deliciously bizarre adventure. Full of fantastical monsters that have splendid names, it is a picture book that is full of surprises and a perfectly perfect ending. Children will enjoy looking for clues in the art that indicate that a monster might be in the offing!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share