Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Picture Book Monday with a review of Yeti and the Bird

When I was younger I was quick to judge others. I have since learned (the hard way) that such judgements serve no purpose and can be unkind. When someone is disagreeable  I remind myself that the person probably has some sadness in his or her life that I know nothing about, a sadness that makes them behave as they do. In today's book you will meet a yeti who is grumpy and who is therefore friendless. No one who sees the yeti imagines that he his kind and gentle on the inside.

Yeti and the Bird Yeti and the bird
Nadia Shireen
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House UK, 2013, 978-1-780-08014-7
Deep in the forest there lives a very large, very white, and very hairy yeti. Since he is so big, so hairy, and so scary, the other animals keep their distance, and Yeti is alone all the time. And lonely.
   Then one day something lands on Yeti’s head. The something is a very confused orange bird who has a great deal to say. She sqwalks and sqwalks until Yeti roars at her, but instead of being afraid of Yeti, the bird is amused. She then tells Yeti all about her journey and explains that she has “landed on a hot, tropical island” where she will spend the winter. The yeti then points out that there are no palms trees in the forest, and no sun for that matter, which is when the bird realizes that she has made a big mistake. She is in the wrong place and is lost.
   The yeti tries to console the bird and then, not knowing what else to do, he picks her up and takes her home. Soon the two animals are the best of friends and everyone in the forest is amazed to see that the yeti is a cheerful fellow and a wonderful friend. In fact he is such a good friend that he decides that he has to find a way to help the little bird continue her journey south.
   In this delightfully sweet picture book we see that friendships can exist between two very dissimilar characters, and such friendships can change one’s life is a deep and meaningful way. Children will be delighted to see how the little bird gives the yeti a gift that is truly priceless

No comments:

Bookmark and Share