Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Poetry Friday with a review of Switching on the Moon: A very first book of Bedtime Poems

When my daughter was little she and I used to sing a little lullaby every night. The overhead light would be out, the unicorn nightlight would be glowing, and for those few precious moments she and I would sing the comforting rhyming lines. There is nothing quite like sharing poetry (sung or spoken) with a child last thing at night, and today I have a book for you that is packed with poems that are perfect for bedtime.

Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime PoemsSwitching on the Moon: A very first book of Bedtime Poems
Collected by Jane Yolen and Andrew Fusek Peters
Illustrated by G. Brian Karas
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 3 to 5
Candlewick Press, 2010, 978-0-7636-4249-5
For many children around the world bedtime is synonymous with little songs and poems. The soft lilting cadence of rhymes is so well suited to helping children to settle down and prepare for sleep, and they also help children to connect with the grownups who share these songs and poems with them.
   In this wonderful book a variety of poems about bedtime are brought together so that children can enjoy the gift of beautiful language just before they go to sleep. The poems are divided into three sections. There are verses that describe those pre-bedtime moments, lullabies, and finally there are poems that capture nighttime sounds, moments, and experiences.
   The poems found in the collection are all very different, but one thing they all have in common is how soothing they are. Musings, words of love and comfort, and descriptions - all written by poets from around the world - offer children and their grownups a delightful journey into the world of beautiful language.
   Some of the poems found on these pages may be familiar, like Rock-a-bye Baby and The Man in the Moon. Many others will be new to readers, who will enjoy exploring the writings of Langston Hughes, Jane Yolen, Lee Bennett Hopkins, Lord Tennyson, Sylvia Plath, Marilyn Singer, and others.
   Throughout this wonderful volume, beautiful artwork accompanies the poems and makes this book a work of art that would make a wonderful gift for a family who has a new baby to love care for.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice article you can also check best prescription weight loss products,diet supplements that work,garcinia cambogia benefits,naturewise garcinia cambogia,cla 1250,alli,pure extract cambogia. for more check shoplie

Tiffany Tasting Food said...

Good reading youur post

Bookmark and Share