Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Picture Book Monday with a review of Snow Sisters! Two SIsters, One Snowy Day

Here is southern Oregon it has not been a very wintery winter. In fact, our ski mountain has not been able to open, and just yesterday I did not have to wear any kind of jacket when I went running. Meanwhile our friends in many other parts of the country and in Europe have been hammered by heavy snow falls, ice storms, and freezing temperatures.

Needing a winter fix I chose to read today's wonderful picture book. On the pages you will meet two sisters who are very different in many ways, but who are also very alike. It is fascinating to see what each little girl chooses to do on a snowy day.

Snow Sisters! Two Sisters, One Snowy DaySnow Sisters! Two Sisters, One Snowy Day
Kerri Kokias
Illustrated by Teagan White
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Random House, 2017, 978-1-101-93883-6
One morning two sisters wake up and they discover that it has snowed overnight. One sister, a pretty little redhead who is still clad in her nightgown, opens the front door to look at the snow covered garden with delight. The brown haired sister takes in the view from indoors. She is not as pleased by what she is seeing through the window. 
   Happily the little redhead gets decked out in her outdoor clothes, while her sister gets cozy on a big chair with a blanket, a pile of books, and a mug of hot cocoa. While her sister is building a fort and throwing snowballs outside, the brown haired sibling bakes cookies and makes paper snowflakes. Then she plays with her toys and looks at the wild animals from her snug place on the window seat. All the while her boisterous sister is having a wonderful time outdoors “Tracking” and “Hiding.”
   Finally the little redhead has had enough. She is cold and wet and she is ready to come inside to warm up. Her brown haired sister is now ready to take her turn outside. With smiles on their faces, the siblings greet each other as one comes inside and the other goes outside.
   Now it is the redhead’s turn to bake and make, to enjoy books, blankets and a cup of cocoa; and it is the brown haired sister’s turn to build a snow fort and throw snowballs.
   Children are going to love this beautiful seasonal book. It is interesting to see how different the two sisters in this story are. They technically do the same things (though they do them at different times), and yet the way in which they do these things is so different.
   With minimal text – just a few words on every page – the author of this little narrative gives readers a charming picture of a snowy day. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share