Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fiction Wednesday - A review of Dodsworth in New York

Most of us, at some time or another, get a sudden hankering to visit someplace new. We want to have fresh adventures, and meet interesting people. We want to eat exotic food, and gaze upon natural and man made wonders. Of course, going on a trip can be fraught with difficulties, which is what Dodsworth discovers when he decides to go on a trip. 

Tim Egan
Fiction
For ages 7 to 9
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2007, 978-0-618-77708-2
   Dodsworth has decided that he needs to travel; he needs to have an adventure of some kind. After breakfast. So, he goes to Hodge’s CafĂ© to have something to eat before he starts his trip. Hodge has a pet duck who is, in Dodworth’s opinion, “crazy.” Certainly on this occasion the duck behaves in a very bizarre way; it throws pancakes at Dodsworth. Thankfully, Hodge comes out of the kitchen and he quickly puts a stop to the pancake throwing, and Dodsworth gets that excellent breakfast he was looking forward to.
   Eager to begin his adventure, Dodsworth gets on a train that is going to New York City. After the train leaves the station, Dodsworth opens up his suitcase and he discovers, to his annoyance, that Hodge’s duck has stowed away inside it. The duck is apparently “looking for excitement,” and he is looking forward to the trip ahead. Dodsworth is not happy at all, and he is determined to send the duck home as soon as possible.
   The problem is, the duck has no interest in going home. He manages to avoid capture, and soon poor Dodsworth is trotting all over the big city looking for Hodge’s wayward duck.
   Children will laugh out loud when they see how poor Dodsworth is outwitted, again and again, by Hodge’s wily duck. Just when the reader thinks that Dodsworth has the upper hand, the duck pulls a fast one.
   Divided into chapters and full of delightful touches of humor, both verbal and in the art, this is the first in what promises to be a very amusing series. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share