Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of Eight Days Gone

On this day in 1969, a rocket called Apollo 11 blasted off into space taking three men to the moon. It was an incredible journey, one that was watched by millions of people all over the world. Today's picture book tells the story of this journey in beautifully spare rhyming verse that is accompanied by wonderful illustrations.


Linda McReynolds
Illustrated by Ryan O’Rouke
Nonfiction Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Charlesbridge, 2012, 978-1-58089-365-7
   It was a hot day in July in 1969 when hundreds of people gathered to watch Apollo 11 blast off into space. Out in space, the three astronauts on board watched the “Shrinking planet” that was their home getting smaller and smaller as they headed for the moon.
   As they got closer to their destination, the three men began to prepare. They donned their “bulky suits,” and the other special clothing that they were going to need, and then they disconnected the lunar module from the command module. While Michael Collins and many people on Earth watched, first Neil Armstrong and then Edwin Aldrin stepped onto the moon leaving their boot prints “on / ashen ground.”
   In this special picture book, Linda McReynolds uses rhyming verse to tell the story of the first moon landing, which took place on July 20, 1969. She captures how the astronauts felt as they looked at Earth from the moon, and readers will see how important this event was not only for Americans, but for all people.
   An author’s note at the back of the book provides readers with further information about the moon landing, and Ryan O’Rouke’s artwork provides a perfect backdrop for the author’s compelling and atmospheric rhyming verse.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share