Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Poetry Friday - A review of Some kind of love

In summertime, many families get together to reconnect and catch up. My family members have always been spread all over the world, so this was never something we did. This coming winter my cousin is getting married in California, and many of my family members will be travelling long distances to celebrate this event with her. It will be the first time many of us will be meeting the new babies, and I am really looking forward to it.

Today's poetry book is about an annual family reunion that a family share. Though the gathering is not fancy, it is an event that is special for everyone.

Traci Dant
Illustrated by Eric Velasquez
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 6 to 8
Marshall Cavendish, 978-0-7614-5559-2
Every summer, in “purple lilac time,” the members of Grandma’s family leave their homes and drive to Missouri for a family reunion. Without fail, no matter what is happening in their lives, the aunts, uncles, and cousins come to spend some precious time together, and when the members of the family arrive there is “an avalanche of hello / hugs and kisses.”
   No one stays at a motel. Instead, everyone is given a place to sleep at one of the aunt’s houses. No one minds having to share a bed. No one minds having to sleep on a sofa or on the floor. All that matters is that they are all together.
   The family members go fishing, and the happiness that they are share is so great that even when Joley eats the dough that is supposed to be used for bait, he doesn’t get scolded. The love that the family members have for each other seems to have a magical quality because somehow Aunt Lois’s little house is able to accommodate one hundred family members who come together for a fish fry that evening.
   This same magic makes the family stories so funny that even Daddy, who works so hard all the time, laughs as if he hasn’t a care in the world. It makes cousins, even the ones you don’t know each other well, great friends.
   In this heart-warming and unique picture book, Traci Dant uses a series of poems to tell the story of an annual family reunion, an event that brings people together for shared good times. Throughout the book we are reminded that “some kind of love” must be present that is making this reunion full of love, goodwill, friendship, and good spirits. Readers will find themselves wishing that they could join the members of this family who are able to create something so precious even though their homes are small and their means are modest.
   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would love a book review from you! My name is Robyn Hill, and I am an author on Amazon Kindle with a 5 star review status. My number one book is a pre-teen read, beginning with grade 4, but even adults love it. It is a magical bubblegum adventure through several fun, delicious and hilarious mishaps. I have included the smashwords link where I offer it free of charge.
Grum!
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/131871
Here is my Amazon Kindle Link
http://www.amazon.com/GRUM-ebook/dp/B005GPQF9O
I have also included an attachment and would love a review. :)
Here is GRUM! facebook page as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GRUM/101411106638854?ref=hl

Bookmark and Share