Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of A House in the Woods


Most of us have things or people whom we turn to when we are feeling glum.When I am down in the dumps I tend to seek hugs from my husband and daughter, snuggles from my pets, and I pull out my copies of Wind in the Willows, Pooh, or Pride and Prejudice. These three book titles are my comfort titles, my bookish equivalent of hot chocolate, mac and cheese, or toasted cheese sandwiches.

Today's picture book is a perfect title to read when you need a pick-me-up. The story is heartwarming, the characters are charming, and the art is softly gorgeous. 

Inga Moore
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Candlewick Press, 2011, 978-0-7636-5277-7
Two pigs set up house in the woods, one living in a den, and one living in a hut made out of sticks. The pigs go for a walk together one day, and when they get home they find that Bear has moved into the den, and Moose has moved into the hut. The pigs don’t mind this at all, as they are very fond of Bear and Moose, but unfortunately the two large animals are so big that it isn’t long before both the den and the hut are destroyed. Now the two pigs and their large friends are homeless. They are, to be sure, in quite “a pickle.”
   Then Moose suggests that they all work together to build a house that they can share, a proper house with windows, doors, and all the other modern conveniences. There is a problem though. Building such a house takes skill, and Moose and his friends are going to need some help. There is only one thing to do in such a situation: Moose calls the Beavers to help. After all, when it comes to building things, the Beavers know a thing or two.
   In this wonderful picture book, Inga Moore pairs her truly gorgeous illustrations with a story that is brimming with warmth and goodwill. The book is just the thing to read on a not-so-good-day when one is feeling glum and out of sorts.  

No comments:

Bookmark and Share