Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Picture Book Monday - A review of The Monsters' Monster


Some parents have the misconception that their children are going to turn out to be little versions of themselves. Perhaps in the beginning this happens, but after a while our children become their own people, and we have to accept and celebrate their individuality. 

Today's picture book is about three monsters who set about creating a big monster. They intend for him to be a bigger version of themselves, but they find out that sometimes one cannot anticipate how a creation is going to turn out. 

Patrick McDonnell
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Little Brown, 2012, 978-0-316-04547-6
Grouch, Grump, and Gloom ‘n’ Doom are three little monsters who live in a suitably dark and dank castle, and who make a point of being as unpleasantly monsterish as possible. The one thing that they have in common is that they cannot agree which of them is “the biggest, baddest monster,” and this causes no end of trouble and countless brawls.
   Finally, the monsters decide that the solution to their problem is to create a “MONSTER monster. The biggest, baddest monster EVER!” They build their creature, and then with the help of a convenient lightning strike, they bring him to life. The three monsters are thrilled with their creation. Now, at last, they know which of them is “the biggest, baddest monster.” Their monster is going to be a credit to monsterdom, and he is going to leave chaos in his wake. It never occurs to them that their plan might not work out the way they expect it to.
   Young readers are going to love this clever and unusual story with its heartwarming and surprising ending. They will see how even the best laid plan can backfire, and how, in this case at least, the problem turns out to be an unexpected gift.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share