Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Thirty Two

Happy February everyone! I have been doing this Picture Book Celebration for a month now, and I am really enjoying it. I was concerned that the extra work would be a burden (I also review at least three books each week day for TTLG), but it really isn't.

For today's picture book, I have a story about a cat. This cat, Bandit, has that cat attitude thing going that we cat fanciers love and sigh over. The artwork is reminiscent of old cartoon strips, and readers will enjoy reading the smart comments that Bandit makes.
Karen Rostoker-Gruber
Illustrated by Vincent Nguyen
Picture Book
Ages 5 to 7
Marshall Cavendish, 2008, 978-0-7614-5382-6
   One morning Bandit the cat wakes up to find that something strange is going on. People are taking away his couch, and there are boxes everywhere. Michelle picks up Bandit and she carries him through the house. Bandit sees that his toy basket, his mouse, his blanket, and his bed are missing from the family room. His litter box and food bowl are not in the laundry room. Out in the garage, Michelle puts Bandit in his cat carrier and she carries him to the car. Bandit is sure that he must be going to the vet. Why else would Michelle put him in the car?
   When they get to their destination, Michelle carries Bandit into a strange house. The house is empty and nothing about it is familiar, so Bandit decides there and then that he is “outta here.”
   In this unique picture book, young readers get to meet a cat with an attitude. Like most cats, Bandit refuses to allow people to push him around. With wonderful comic book style art illustrations that are sprinkled with Bandit’s often very funny comments, this is a picture book young cat lovers are sure to enjoy. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share