Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Fifty-four

Not long ago I was driving past a field full of cows here in Ashland when I saw that there was a peacock sitting in a tree above the heads of the browsing cows. I was so startled by this rather peculiar sight that I almost drove into a ditch. I could not for the life of me figure out why there was a peacock in a cow field in southern Oregon. Where did it come from? I was therefore delighted to receive a review copy of today's picture book, which is about a peacock that causes quite a stir on a farm.

Three Hens and a Peacock
Lester L. Laminack
Three Hens and a PeacockIllustrated by Henry Cole
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Peachtree Publishers, 2011, 1-56145-564-4
   Life on the Tucker farm is peaceful and “nothing unusual” happens there. The cows chew their cud, the hens cluck, peck, and lay eggs, and the old hound snoozes on the porch. Peace and quiet reigns. Until the day when a box falls out of a van, and peacock steps out of the box. The animals on the farm behave the way their normally do, but the peacock – who has never lived on a farm – starts to shriek.
   The peacock stands by the side of the road shrieking and showing off his spectacular tail feathers, and people who are driving by stop to take a look at the bird. They get out of their cars, take photos of the peacock, and buy corn, tomatoes, and eggs from the Tuckers. The peacock loves the attention, and the Tuckers are very happy because business is “booming.” However, the hens on the farm are furious. They are livid that they are doing all the work and the peacock “gets all the attention.” With angry hens complaining, and a miserable peacock moping around, the atmosphere on the farm is most uncomfortable. What is to be done about this situation?
   Readers of all ages are sure to be entertained when they read this delightful picture book. Not only is it very amusing, but it also looks at something that we are all, on occasion, are guilty of doing - wishing we were in someone else’s shoes. In this case, the chickens wish they were in the peacocks…er…feet, and vice versa. Sometimes being who and what you are is actually the best thing to be.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share