Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Monday, February 14, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Forty-Five

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope you have an enjoyable day full of hugs and smooches. Valentine's Day is, of course, all about showing the people you love that they are loved, and about making declarations of love. It is also a day when people give their loves gifts of flowers and rings. And chocolate. Chocolate truly does make life more pleasurable, and for today's picture book I have a title that is all about one little's boy's passion for chocolate. 

Davide Cali
Illustrated by Evelyn Daviddi
Picture Book
Ages 6 to 8
Tundra Books, 2009, 978-0-88776-912-2
   Chocolate is one of those things that makes the world a better place. It is one of those things that gives pleasure in so many ways. In this book, you are going to meet a little boy who has put a lot of thought into why he “loves chocolate.”
   He begins by pointing out the obvious: Chocolate tastes good! It comes in many forms, is flavored in countless ways, and it can even be surprising. Then the boy goes on to explain that chocolate can “make bad times better.” Chocolate is the perfect panacea when people get angry, when machines break down, and when life is dull, scary, frustrating, or annoying.
   Chocolate is also the perfect thing to have around when you are in a celebratory mood. You can share it with a friend, give it to someone as gift, or use it as a peace offering when you have done something wrong.
   In this delightfully funny book, the author and illustrator truly get into the spirit of chocolateness. They clearly appreciate the many ways in which chocolate makes the world a happier place. Chocoholics off all ages are sure to enjoy the wonderfully quirky illustrations, the amusing text, and the unique format of this memorable book.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share