Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, February 11, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Forty-Two : Children and pets

A year or so ago I, like so many parents, was subjected to hearing "can I have a pet PLEASE. I promise to take care of it." Three guinea pigs later, my daughter has come to realize that pets are a lot of work. Today's picture book is about a little bear child who wants a pet of her own. Both children and parents will enjoy this one.

Children Make Terrible PetsPeter Brown
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Little Brown, 2010, 978-0-316-01548-6
   One day Lucy Beatrice Bear is out in the woods practicing her twirls when she comes across “the cutest critter in the whole forest.” She is thrilled with the little fellow and decides to call him Squeaker, “because he makes funny sounds.” Lucy begs her mother to allow her to keep the child (yes that is what he is) for a pet, even though she is told that “children make terrible pets.” Reluctantly, Lucy’s mother agrees, with the stipulation that Squeaker will be Lucy’s responsibility.
   Lucy and Squeaker have a wonderful time together, though Lucy discovers that having a pet can be a lot of work, and at times Squeaker is a real trial. For one thing, her pet refuses to be potty-trained, and for another, he loves to ruin the furniture. Then the worse thing possible happens. Squeaker disappears. Lucy is distraught. Where can her beloved pet be?
   Children are sure to enjoy this hilarious picture book with its loveable main character. Readers of all ages will love the way Peter Brown presents a familiar scenario in such a unique way. This book was written for all those children who have brought home an animal, and who have asked “can I keep him?” It was also written for all those long-suffering parents who have had to deal with all those wild animal pets who bring chaos and pandemonium in their lives. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share