Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, February 25, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Fifty-Six

Every parent knows what it is like when a child loses or misplaces a beloved stuffed animal. Tears flow, frantic searches take place, and nothing is quite right until and missing toy is found, safe and sound. Today's picture book tells the story of one teddy bear who has an extraordinary adventure when he is accidentally lost.

Bear in the air
Susan Meyers
Illustrated by Amy Bates
Bear in the AirPicture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Abrams, 2010, 978-0-8109-8398-4
   Mother is taking Baby for a ride in his stroller along the beach. When the stroller bounces over a little red crab, Bear is “bounced” out of the stroller and onto the boardwalk. Baby is naturally distraught, and Mother looks for Bear, but she cannot find him and she continues her walk down the boardwalk. Unfortunately, for Bear, a dog finds him and carries him onto the beach, where he leaves the toy to be carried off by a wave. A sailor in his boat sees Bear “barely afloat” and he tries to rescue him, but his efforts come to naught, and Bear is carried down, down, down into the “deep ocean” by a playful seal.
   Any child who has lost a much-loved toy will appreciate this picture book with its engaging rhyming text and its luscious pencil and watercolor illustrations. It is interesting to see how many adventures the bear has, and how, in the end, the bear ends up where he belongs. 

2 comments:

Annalisa said...

i love this illustrator

Marya Jansen-Gruber said...

Me too, and she has a lovely website. Take a look. http://www.amybates.com/

Bookmark and Share