Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Forty-Seven

Today's picture book is the kind of book that adults as well as children will appreciate. It conveys a message that is relevant to readers who are 7 or 17 or 27 or... I think you get the idea. It is the kind of book that gives you something new to think about every time you read it.


Alison McGhee
Illustrated by Taeeun Yoo
Picture Book
For ages 6 and up
Simon and Schuster, 2010, 978-1-4169-5857-4
As you go about your days, you will discover that there are so many doors that lead to somewhere, and there is so much “to wonder about.” You don’t know who you will be, nor do you know “where you will go.” Life is so full of unknowns.
   Notice all the wonderful things around you and enjoy them, take pleasure in the journey and know that, “You are stronger than you know.” Even when you are buffeted by a wind and tossed about by a storm, you will find a way to keep going because “You are braver than you know.”
   In this remarkable book, Alison McGhee’s lyrical text is perfectly matched to Taeeun Yoo’s multimedia art to help young people to see that everything they need to make their way in the world is within them. In their hearts, they will find courage, strength, hope, and love, all the tools that they will need during their journey to somewhere.
   This book would make a wonderful gift for anyone who is embarking on a journey of some kind.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share