Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Thirty-Six

Valentine's Day is just around the corner, so I thought I would review a few 'lovey dovey' titles. Here is one that hundreds of children have enjoyed since the book came out. This book was written for all those young children who worry that their parent's love might have an expiration date.

Lisa McCourt
Illustrated by Cyd Moore
Picture Book
Ages 3 to 6
Scholastic, 2004, 978-0439634694
   All children need to feel loved, and there are times when they wonder if their parents might stop loving them under the right circumstance. In this story a little boy wonders - as his mother cuddles him before bedtime – if she would stop loving him if he were different. What if he were a big ape, or a smelly skunk? What if he were an alligator or a swamp creature? What if he was a “green alien from Mars” who “ate bugs instead of peanut butter?”
   Thankfully this little boy’s mother not only loves him unconditionally, she also finds wonderful answers for his questions. She tells her funny little son that, whatever he looks like, however badly he smells, and whatever strange things he eats, she will always be there for him, she will always take care of him, and she will always love him.
   Delightful and amusing illustrations show the little boy in all his imagined forms. Always, whether he is an ape, an alien, a monster, or a dinosaur, the little boy is wearing his telltale striped pajamas, and in each case his mother is there, being a mother and doing all those things that mothers do so well.
   This simple little story will make a wonderfully comforting bedtime story, and it will reassure children when they worry that they might not be loveable any more.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share