Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Thirty-Seven

I once had a friend who was seemingly  good at everything. She was a faster runner than I was, she was better at math, she did not struggle with chemistry as I did. There were times when I felt as if I lived in her shadow. Thankfully I came to realize that she valued and admired me as much as I valued and admired her. We depended on and cared about each other. Today's picture book is about two little girl crocodiles who learn a valuable lesson about friendship.

Pam Smallcomb
Illustrated by Robert Weinstock
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Random House, 2011, 978-0-375-86115-4
   A little brown crocodile has a best friend called Evelyn, and Evelyn is everything that the little brown crocodile is not. Evelyn is creative, fashionable, artistic, imaginative, and loud. Sometimes the little brown crocodile wonders if her friend Evelyn “is from Mars” because they are so unalike. The little brown crocodile admires her friend, and sometimes she is exasperated by her. Evelyns is so larger than life that she can be a little overwhelming at time.
   Thankfully, the little brown crocodile has her own gifts and accomplishments. She can do things that Evelyn is not good at doing, and she has something to offer that is truly priceless.
   Having a friend who is good at many things can be a little bit of trial at times. What the author of this charming book shows to great effect is that even the most accomplished of people (or crocodiles) have things they are not good at. And even the most accomplished of people (or crocodiles), need to have a best friend.
   Young readers will love these two delightful little crocodile children who discover how well they compliment one another, and how precious their friendship is to both of them. Wonderfully humorous illustrations and loveable characters make this a picture book that is sure to become a favorite with young readers.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share