Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixty

Having recently spent many hours worrying about my sick dog, I think it is appropriate to review a book about pets and what it is like to have a pet. In this book, a young boy discovers that having a pet is not all fun and games, but it is still worth all the work and the worry. He also discovers that there are times when one has to make painful sacrifices to ensure that a pet is happy.

The SnagglegrollopDaniel Postgate
Illustrated by Nick Price
Picture book
For ages 5 to 7
Scholastic, 2009, 978-0-545-10470-8
   Sam would like to have a pet, but his parents are apposed to the idea. A dog would need walking every day, and a cat would leave fur on the furniture. Then Sam asks if he can have a snagglegrollop, a creature that he just made up. His parents, finding this amusing, agree that Sam can have a snagglegrollop.
   When Sam comes home from school that day, he brings an enormous creature with him. The creature is a snagglegrollop and it has - among other things - a trunk, tusks, horns, and huge pink feet. Sam’s father is rather surprised, but because he said Sam could have a snagglegrollop, he lets him son keep the creature so long as Sam promises to look after it.
   Though it takes a lot of work to care for the snagglegrollop, Sam and his parents become very fond of it. Unfortunately, there are times when the snagglegrollop is sad. Something is wrong, and Sam and his family had no idea what they could do to help their unusual pet.
   This picture book explores the joys that come with pet ownership, even if that pet is a little unusual. It also highlights the idea that even the most peculiar of creatures can get lonely. The need for friendship is universal.
   With its wonderfully colorful illustrations and its loveable monster characters, this is a picture book that will particularly resonate with children who like animals.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share