Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixty-Four

As I have mentioned before, I have a deep fondness for pigs. For several years I had a delightful pot-bellied pig in my life and I still miss her very much indeed. For today's title I have a review of a book that shows you what happens when some pig children get into the kitchen to do some baking.

Michelle Meadows
Illustrated by Aard Hoyt
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 7
Simon and Schuster, 2011, 978-1-4169-3787-6
   Mama pig has gone out, leaving Papa pig at home with their five children. While Papa is outside mowing the lawn, the piggy children go into the kitchen and they start getting ingredients together. Busily they mix and stir, happily they turn the kitchen into a scene of chaos.
   Over and over again, the children experience anxious moments when they hear someone’s car outside. Has Mama come home? Thankfully, every time they peek out of the window they see that Mama’s car is not outside, so they get back to work. Trails of batter and drifts of sugar and flour are spilled on the flour, but the children keep on going. Which is when Papa comes in. They forgot about him!
   Full of wonderful noise words that children will enjoy saying, this delightful book is perfect for reading out loud. With its irrepressible pig characters and its surprising ending, this is a picture book that will surely become a favorite with children and their grownups. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share