Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixty-One

When I was a child I was often the odd one out, the child who was a little different. This story is about a goose who is the odd one out. In his case, he has a very good reason for making sure that he is not like all the other geese.

Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Scholastic, 2005, 0-439-68765-9
   There once was a gaggle of geese that lived on a farm. All the geese were “shiny and clean” except for one goose. This one small goose splashed around in a muddy pond and the clean geese laughed at him.
   Every time there was a full moon, the fox would come to the farm and he would chase the geese all over the place, snapping at them and pulling out their feathers. However, he never chased the dirty goose. After one particularly trying episode with the fox, the clean geese decided to ask the dirty goose why he was never chased by the fox. The dirty goose explained that the fox did not see him because of his dirty feathers. In no time at all there wasn’t a clean goose in sight. They were all dirty. What the formerly clean geese did not know was that their troubles with the fox weren’t quite over.
   In this amusing picture book, Caroline Jayne Church shows her readers how important it is to adapt yourself to the situation that you find yourself in. It also is important to realize that begin different can indeed be a very good thing.
   With charming multimedia illustrations and a memorable story, this picture book will appeal to young readers who like to see ‘the little guy’ prove that he is actually not so little after all. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share