Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Seventy-Four

Some years ago I started reading the books in the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. They are such fascinating books that I was delighted to see that Hyperion has published a graphic novel of the first book in the trilogy.

The Amulet of Samarkand (A Bartimaeus Graphic Novel)Illustrated by Lee Sullivan and Nicolas Chapuis
Graphic Novel
Ages 12 and up
Hyperion, 2010, 978-142311146-7
  Nathaniel, a magician’s apprentice, is furious, and he is determined to have his revenge on Simon Lovelace. Lovelace, a powerful magician who works for the government, has humiliated Nathaniel in the most mortifying way and Nathaniel’s master, Arthur Underwood, did nothing to help his apprentice during the ordeal.
   Far more knowledgeable in the art of magic than he should be for a boy of his age, Nathaniel summons up a powerful 5,000-year-old djinni called Bartimaeus to help him in his quest for revenge. Bartimaeus is not at all pleased to be forced to work for a twelve-year-old boy, but since Nathaniel has cast his spell properly and with care, there is nothing that Bartimaeus can do. Instead, when Nathaniel tells Bartimaeus to steal the Amulet of Samarkand from Lovelace, Bartimaeus reluctantly does as he is told.
  What neither Nathaniel nor Bartimaeus know at this point is that the Lovelace only has the Amulet because he stole it from the British government. Bartimeus – at the behest of his young master – finds out that Lovelace has plans of his own, plans that involve overthrowing the current administration so that he can seize power. When the Amulet is stolen from him, Lovelace puts his considerable powers to work to retrieve the precious magical artifact.
  Set in a modern-day London that is ruled by magicians, this highly entertaining story is told from the point of view of both Bartimaeus and Nathaniel. Bartimaeus’s often sarcastic and scornful observations about the magicians and their world are highly amusing, and the longstanding conflict between the “demons” and the magicians adds a great deal of interest to the story.
  Wonderfully written and packed with full-color art, this is a book that graphic novel fans of all ages will greatly enjoy.


No comments:

Bookmark and Share