Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Seventy-One

Being told that it is "time for bed" has to be one of the most trying things young children have to deal with. It is up there with "eat all your food," "brush your teeth," and "pick up your toys." Today's picture book is about four young animals who find a creative way to get around having to go to bed.

The Secret Plan
The Secret PlanJulia Sarcone-Roach
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Random House, 2009, 978-0-375-85858-1
   Milo the little elephant and his friends Henry, Hildy, and Harriet are always having their best games and adventures interrupted. Why is it that grownups are forever calling them in for meals or to do chores? Of course, the worst excuse that adults come up with is to tell Milo and his friends that it is bedtime. Bedtime is such a drag.
   Milo and his feline friends decide that the best way to avoid bedtime is to find a place where they can hide. They find all kinds of hiding places and disguises, but they are always found. They try to sneak out but they always get caught. Then Hildy comes up with a new idea. Perhaps they are going about this whole bedtime problem in the wrong way. Perhaps there is another way to extend their playtime, a better way.
   Children who are fed up with being told that it is bedtime will thoroughly enjoy this unique picture book. They will meet a quartet of characters who are instantly appealing and they will appreciate the solution that the young animals come up with.
   With wonderfully unique illustrations and a memorable format, this is a picture book that is perfect for those not-quite-ready-for-bedtime moments.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share