Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Eighty-Eight

Suma and Sara on my work desk in their basket
I truly identify with the human character that you will meet in the book I reviewed below. Like Miss Wright, I work alone at home tapping out words on my computer. It is sometimes a lonely business being a writer, but I certainly don't lack for companionship. Just yesterday I had two cats and three dogs in my office with me. When I test out a sentence by reading it out loud, many furry heads look up to see what I am up to. I even have a basket on my desk that the two cats sometimes share. This is rather ridiculous because the basket is really too small for two cats (one of whom is rather well padded), but they do this anyway. Though this book is of course for children, adults will also greatly enjoy it.



Judy Young
Illustrated by Andrea Wesson
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Sleeping Bear Press, 2011, 978-1-58536-509-8
   Miss Wright is an author who lives in a little house on the beach. She has all kinds of adventures in the stories that she writes, but her life is very quiet and rather lonely, so she decides that she needs “something to keep me company,” and so she goes to the local pet store.
   The man at the pet store gives Miss Wright a mynah bird because he thinks that the talking bird will be the perfect companion. Unfortunately, the mynah bird does not turn out to be a good fit because the only sound it makes is to mimic the tap tapping sounds of computer keys.
   Miss Wright then brings home a monkey, which is more of a nuisance than anything else. A fish distracts Miss Wright so much that she does not write anything, a hamster running in its wheel makes her dizzy, and a cat lies across her keyboard making it impossible for her to work. Miss Wright is determined that a pet is not the answer to her problem, and then the pet shop man gives her a dog. Miss Wright does not think that the dog is going to suit her either, but she gives it a try all the same. Little does she know that the dog is going to be a bigger asset than she ever imagined.
   In this delightful picture book, we meet a lonely writer who finds that having a dog in your life can be very rewarding indeed. With wonderful illustrations and delightful characters that will appeal to readers of all ages, this is a picture book that will warm the heart and put a smile on a face. 

No comments:

Bookmark and Share