Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, March 4, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book Sixty-Three

A few years ago I was sent a deliciously funny picture book about lacewing (a kind of insect) called Ace Lacewing, who is a detective. The author created a whole insect-centric world for his detective to live in, and I greatly enjoyed looking at the art and chuckling over the wordplay that was sprinkled throughout the book. For today's picture book I have reviewed the second book in this series.

David Biedrzycki
Picture Book
Ages 8 to 10
Charlesbridge, 2009, 1-57091-569-5
   One day a small flea called Scratch Murphy walks in Ace Lacewing’s detective agency door. Scratch explains that a lot of money that he was taking to the bank to repay a loan was stolen from him. He was on his way to the bank with the money when a carpenter ant toolbox was dropped on his head (he has the bump to prove it). When he came to, his bag of money was gone.
   Ace takes on Scratch’s case and soon he and his “gal,” Xerces, are talking to the bank manager. Though the roach does appear to be flush with money, he refuses to talk, so Ace decides to try to find out who “might be out to exterminate Scratch Murphy.”
   Certainly, the carpenter ants aren’t very keen on Scratch, but they are not the only ones who would like to “scratch Scratch out.” Ace decides to have a chat with Bo Weevil, who apparently fought with Scratch all the time. Though Bo has a reason to be mad with Scratch, he is a very paternal bug, and he doesn’t seem like the violent type. He suggests that Ace should talk to Ace’s girlfriend, Lady DeBug. When Ace and Xerces meet the elegant ladybug, they discover that all is not what it seems. Could it be that the thief was a member of Scratch’s family?
   In this amusing Ace Lacewing mystery, the famous bug detective once again solves a puzzling crime, interviewing suspects and finally uncovering the villain responsible for the theft of Scratch’s money. Clever word play and deliciously detailed illustrations make this a title that adults will be happy to share with their children.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share