Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Poetry Friday - A review of the Owl and the Pussycat


The Owl and the Pussycat is one of my favorite poems. I cannot explain why this is so, but there is something about the language that appeals to me. For today's poetry title, I have a review of a very unique version of Edward's Lear's famous poem.

Edward Lear
Illustrated by Stephane Jorisch
Poetry Picture Book
For ages 8 and up
Kids Can Press, 2007, 978-1553378280
An owl and pussycat are in love but they live in a place where owls and pussycats are not supposed to consort with one another. And so, the lovers decide to run away together. They get into a pea-green boat and after deciding that they will get married, they sail "away for a year and a day?" until they get to the island where the bong tree grows.
   Here the lovers meet a pig who has a ring in its nose. Being a kind and friendly creature the pig agrees to sell them its ring for a shilling. Then the pair are finally able to get married. Best of all, in this wonderful land they are surrounded by other couples like themselves, mixed couples who are together because they love one another and who do not need to fear that they will be persecuted in any way.
   In this unique book, Stephane Jorisch has created some extraordinary illustrations for Edward Lear's famous and much loved poem. He presents the voyage of the owl and the pussycat as being a special journey not just of lovers going to be married, but also of lovers seeking a place where they can live together in peace, a place where they won't have to worry about what others will say or do.
   Jorisch's quirky illustrations offer readers plenty to look at and to think about, and one cannot help feeling that Edward Lear would heartily approve of this new twist on his classic little love story.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share