Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty-three

Being a confirmed dog lover, I really enjoy reading books that feature dogs in some way. In today's picture you will meet a dog who has a fondness for anything that is red in color. His passion for red objects gets him into trouble, and it also encourages him to be brave and cunning.

Anitha Balachandran
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Kane Miller, 2011, 978-1-935279-83-9
   Raja is a dog who loves red things, and whenever he can, he finds something red and he chews it. One day Raja chews Mr. Lal’s grey and red socks and he is such a nuisance  that Tanvi decides to take Raja to the park.
   Usually Raja and his dog friend Champ play with a red ball, but today the red ball is missing and Champ is very upset because he “can’t find it anywhere.” Raja asks the other animals if they know where the red ball is, but none of them are helpful. Then Raja sees the red ball lying in Mr. Mehta’s garden, which is a truly terrible thing because grumpy Mr. Mehta hates dogs. Somehow Raja has to get the red ball back without getting caught.
   Young children are sure to enjoy this color filled picture book with its loveable main character. Young readers will find it hard not to cheer for Raja as he does his best to rescue the treasured red ball from the dog hating Mr. Mehta.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share