Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, September 30, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration - Book two hundred and seventy-three

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and sometimes the most unlikely looking characters turn out to be the only ones who can save the day when something goes horribly wrong. In today's picture book, you will meet a cat who does not look like he can do much of anything, except raid the nearest garbage can. Thankfully, it turns out that he has inner resources that are very valuable indeed. 

Mat Head
Picture Book
For ages
Andersen Press USA, 2011, 978-0-7613-8095-5
   One evening Warduff the cat is having a post snack snooze when he is woken up by a telephone call. Fefferflap the goose from Corncob Farm is on the other end of the line, and he is in a flap because the local fox is apparently coming to dinner. Fefferflap and the other animals at the farm don’t want to be on the menu.
   Warduff is large and not exactly beautiful, but he is loyal to his friends, and soon he is at the farm, listening to the farm animals who desperately need his help. Warduff tells the animals to calm down, and then he goes into one of the fields where he thinks and thinks until a cunning plan comes into his head. Soon Operation Corncob is under way.
   Young readers will greatly enjoy seeing how Warduff the cat works on finding a way to save his farm friends from a hungry fox. They will see how important it is to cooperate with others when there is danger ahead. Even the smallest and weakest amongst us can defeat a bigger foe if we work together.
   With wonderfully expressive illustrations and a clever story, this is a picture book that is sure to become a firm favorite with children who like a happy ending.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share