Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty-seven


Though it is still warm here in southern Oregon, it is officially fall, so today I have a fall-ish book for you to enjoy.  It may be eighty something degrees outside, but in the pages of this book I can experience a day that is cold, blustery, and stormy. How nice!

Paula Gerritsen
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Lemniscaat, 2005, 978-1-932425-66-6
   It is fall, and it is time for Mouse to collect nuts so that she has food during the winter months that lie ahead. Wearing her red coat with the big pockets and her warm scarf, Mouse heads across the big field towards the big nut tree that stands near the farm.
   As Mouse approaches the furrowed field, Gull warns her that a storm is on its way, but his warning is blown away by the wind. In the field, Hare tells Mouse to “Get out of here” or she will get run over by the tractor. Mouse cannot hear Hare’s warning because of the “roar” of the tractor’s engine. In the meadow, Sheep warns Mouse that there is a dog behind her, but the dog’s barking is so loud that Mouse does not hear what Sheep says.
   When Mouse gets to the nut tree, the storm is so fierce that she takes refuge in a hole at the base of the tree. Snug and safe, she falls asleep. Little does she know that she is going to get a dreadful surprise when she wakes up.
   In this visually stunning picture book, Paula Gerritsen gives her readers a picture of a blustery autumn day in the country. Children get to meet some animals, and they get to follow the adventures of a plucky little mouse, whose plans are greatly upset by a sudden storm.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share