Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and fifty-six

Many people around the country are alarmed because so many of our children are not as healthy as they should be. Many of them barely ever exercise, they have a poor diet, and they spend far too much time glued to televisions, computer screens and cell phones. In today's picture book, author Eileen Spinelli, who is a big favorite of mine, addresses this issue with sensitivity and humor. 

Eileen Spinelli
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 7
Albert Whitman, 2011, 978-0-8075-5171-4
   One day Miss Fox notices that her students are not in good shape. Some of them are too tired to stay awake in class, others have rumbly tummies because they don’t have regular meals, and others can barely run up a short flight of stairs without wheezing and puffing. Miss Fox decides that her students need to “get fit,” and not just for Field Day. They need to be fit “For every day.”
   Miss Fox’s campaign begins with a visit to Nurse Weasel, who tells the children that their bodies need “healthy food,” and she gives them recipes to take home to their families. Then Miss Fox invites Bunny and Raccoon to come up with some exercises that the students can do during recess. Soon all the students and their families are learning that exercise can come in many forms, and it can be fun.
   In this delightful Miss Fox title, young readers will see that getting fit and being healthy can be fun and rewarding. Using her delightful characters and an engaging storyline, the author conveys an important message that all children need to hear.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share