Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and fifty

Many little children love to hear stories about what they were like when they were babies. "Did I cry a lot?" "Was I cute?" "Were you glad I was born?" are just a few of the questions they like to ask. They like to hear about how they rocked by one parent, or sung to by another. They laugh when they hear about how one of their parents drove around for hours with baby in the car seat just to get baby to stop crying.

In today's picture book, you will meet two new parents who discover that sometimes you need to be creative when you have an unhappy baby in the house.
Cinnamon Baby
Nicola Winstanley
Illustrated by Janice Nadeau
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Kids Can Press, 2011, 978-1-55337-821-1
   Miriam is a fabulous baker who makes all kinds of breads in her little bakery. Every day she ends her baking by making cinnamon bread. While she kneads the raisins into the dough, Miriam sings so that “the smell of cinnamon and the sound of her beautiful voice rose together and curled through the air.”
   One day Sebastian is going past the bakery when he hears Miriam’s lovely voice. He immediately goes inside the shop and buys a loaf of cinnamon bread. After buying a loaf of the wonderful bread every day for a year, Sebastian asks Miriam to marry him.
   Soon the happy couple have their first child, a baby girl with “big brown eyes and dusky skin.” At first all goes well, but then the baby starts to cry, and though they try everything they can think of, Miriam and Sebastian cannot get their daughter to stop crying. The baby is not sick, so what is upsetting her so?
   In this delightful picture book, a lyrical text is paired with multimedia art to give readers a story that is unusual and a joy to read. The tale explores the special connection a baby has with her mother. Children and parents connect on many levels, and in this book we discover that babies are soothed when all their senses are engaged by things that that make them feel loved and safe.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share