Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Friday, September 2, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and forty-five

Some children like to have adventure-filled and lively stories read to them before their naps or at bedtime. Others like to be soothed by soft words and pretty illustrations. Today's picture book is of the latter variety and it is a perfect title to read just before a nap or bedtime. The text is simple, the art is lovely, and children will  be charmed by the ending. 

Kandy Radzinski
Picture Book
For ages 4 to 6
Sleeping Bear Press, 978-1-58536-436-7
   Imagine that you are a kitten living in the country. Where would you sleep when the shadows are getting long, and when the time for playing and exploring is over? This little kitten considers sleeping in the vegetable patch, but she knows she will end up chasing bunnies instead of sleeping. She could sleep in the henhouse with the chickens, but everyone knows that the hens “stay up late and talk, talk, talk.” The porch swing is too covered with “toys and things,” and the soft brown shoe is far too small to accommodate a kitten. Surely there must be someplace that is just right for a cozy kitten nap.
   As they look through this book, little children will enjoy seeing where the little kitten goes and what she does as she tries to find the perfect sleeping place. With its simple and minimal text and its sweetly expressive illustrations, this book would be a perfect title to share with a child before nap time or last thing at night.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share