Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The TTLG 2011 Picture Book Celebration: Book two hundred and sixty-four

Today's picture book is so beautiful and magical that I don't want to waste any time giving you an introduction. Enjoy!

Sandra Markle
Illustrated by Leslie Wu
Picture Book
For ages 5 to 8
Peachtree Publishers, 2011, 978-1-56145-539-3
   One September afternoon, Jilly is on the beach playing fetch with her dog Fudge. As she looks out across the lake, a strange cloud gathers over the water. To her “it looks like it’s raining black pepper from a clear blue sky.”
   As it gets closer, the cloud gets bigger and bigger, and Jilly sees that it is orange in color, not white or gray. It also “shimmers.” Imagining all kinds of things, the girl runs up to the cabin where her mother is loading up the car. Instead of being afraid of the strange cloud, Jilly’s mother rushes down towards the beach.
   In the woods Jilly and her mother see an orange Baltimore Oriole, and an orange kite, but no orange cloud. What did Jilly see on the beach and where is it now?
   In this remarkable book, Sandra Markle’s lyrical text is paired with gorgeous paintings to give young readers a singular picture book experience. The author perfectly captures the sense of wonder that Jilly experiences when she finally understands what the orange cloud is, and we can celebrate the fact that she got to share this amazing moment with her mother.
   At the back of the book, the author provides her readers with further information about the animals that make up Jilly’s orange cloud.

No comments:

Bookmark and Share