Welcome!

Dear Book Lovers, Welcome! I am delighted that you have found The Through the Looking Glass blog. For over twenty years I reviewed children's literature titles for my online journal, which came out six times a year. Every book review written for that publication can be found on the Through the Looking Glass website (the link is below). I am now moving in a different direction, though the columns that I write are still book-centric. Instead of writing reviews, I'm offering you columns on topics that have been inspired by wonderful books that I have read. I tell you about the books in question, and describe how they have have impacted me. This may sound peculiar to some of you, but the books that I tend to choose are ones that resonate with me on some level. Therefore, when I read the last page and close the covers, I am not quite the same person that I was when first I started reading the book. The shift in my perspective might be miniscule, but it is still there. The books I am looking are both about adult and children's titles. Some of the children's titles will appeal to adults, while others will not. Some of the adult titles will appeal to younger readers, particularly those who are eager to expand their horizons.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A review in honor of Ramadan

Today is the first day of Ramadan, a special month-long holiday celebrated by Muslims all over the world. In honor of this holiday I have review for you of a delightful picture book that was published this year.


Fawzia Gilani-Williams
Illustrator:  Proiti Roy
Marshall Cavendish Children's Books, 2010   ISBN: 978-0761456292
It is the day before the Eid, and Nabeel has completed his day’s work making shoes. One his way home, Nabeel stops at Hamzi’s clothes shop. He buys his wife a burqa and his mother a dupatta, and his daughter some bangles. Then he decides to buy himself a new pair of pants so that he too will be well dressed on the Eid. Unfortunately, the pants are four fingers too long, but perhaps Nabeel’s wife can hem them for him.
   When he gets home, Nabeel gives his wife Yasmeen her gift and then he asks her if she can fix his pants for her. The Eid is a busy time though, and Yasmeen has cooking to finish. At his mother’s house, Nabeel gets a similar response. His mother is delighted with her gift but she has cooking to do. What is poor Nabeel to do? Will no one fix his pants for him? Perhaps he should do the job himself.
   In this amusing holiday tale, children will not only be entertained by the narrative, but they will also see what some of the traditions of this holiday are. In addition, they will see how the members of a close family share their love for each other, and how it is a wonderful thing, even if things don’t work out quite as everyone expected!

You can find more books for young readers about Ramadan on the TTLG Ramadan page

No comments:

Bookmark and Share